This quick and creamy pasta recipe is indulgently delicious without all the guilt!
Cooking Time: 30 minutes
200g gluten-free spaghetti (I used Dove’s Farm Organic Brown Rice Spaghetti)
2 rashers smoked bacon
1 red onion
Handful of mushrooms
2 small cloves garlic
Fresh or dried basil, salt and pepper to taste
Homemade Béchamel Sauce:
1/3 cup butter
1/3 cup gluten-free plain flour
- Make the Béchamel sauce by gently melting the butter in a saucepan over a low heat. Once the butter has melted, quickly stir in the flour with a wooden spoon until all of the butter has been absorbed (this will look very crumby). Gradually pour in the milk whilst whisking continuously, keeping the saucepan over a low heat. Keep whisking until you have incorporated all of the milk and the sauce thickens to a thick, creamy texture. Take the saucepan off the heat, whisk for a further minute then set aside.
- Bring a separate saucepan of water to the boil then add in the pasta.
- Chop the onion, mushrooms, garlic and bacon.
- Fry the bacon in a separate dry saucepan until crispy, then add in the onions and cook until soft (alternatively, you could grill the bacon then chop and add into the mixture towards the end). Add in the garlic and mushrooms and fry until cooked thoroughly.
- Turn down the heat and incorporate the Béchamel sauce. Stir through and season to taste with salt, black pepper and basil.
- Once the pasta is cooked (normally takes 10-15 minutes) strain off and add into the Béchamel sauce mixture.
- Serve with freshly grated cheese and fresh basil for the best results.
Notes: When I cooked this dish I cooked my gluten-free pasta and my partner’s wheat pasta in separate saucepans, strained my pasta first and returned to the saucepan, then added the sauce into my pasta. I then did the same with my partner’s pasta to avoid cross-contamination. It seems like a lot of pans but we’re used to it!